Speeding Ticket?

The most common instance where Notice is served is an NIP for speeding. There is an NIP time limit that applies of 14 days from the offence. However, how this is calculated will depend on how the notice is given. Don't wait until it's too late. Call Motor Defence Solicitors now, on 0800 2800 912, for a fixed fee consultation with a specialist solicitor.

Court Summons?

A summons, for offences such as speeding, careless driving, drink driving etc...is issued in the Magistrates' Court, although the case may then be transferred to the Crown Court.

Careless / Dangerous Driving

Your driving fell below that expected of a competent driver or driving a vehicle on a road or in any public place dangerously or in a dangerous condition

Drink Driving

Being in charge of a vehicle when unfit due to drink or drugs

Failure to provide

Where an individual deliberately withholds or provides misleading information

Speed Camera Devices

Systems used in the UK are generally type approved and require regular calibration. You are likely to come across the following types: Cameras, Laser, Radar, Stopwatch, Video. Some of the more common devices used include the Gatso, LTI2020, Vascar, Truevelo. For more detailed information on the individual devices, please click here

Penalty Points?

0 Points

You are in an ever shrinking group of drivers. Keep the first penalty points off your driving licence

3-6 Points

If you got your full driving licence less than 2 years ago you are on the verge of revocation and re-test. Insurance premiums start to rise.

9 Points

One more slip and your driving licence is gone. You could face a 6 month driving disqualification

12 Points

You are looking at a 6 month driving ban unless you come up with a convincing argument at Court.

Stopped by the Police?

The Police can stop you by the road if they suspect an offence has occured. You will usually be given a Fixed Penalty Notice (NIP), HORT1 Producer or depending on the offence, be arrested and taken to a Police Station. Typical offences within this scenario include:

Overview of Parking Tickets

Who Issues Parking Tickets?

Parking restrictions are enforced by either the police (normally traffic wardens employed by them) or the council (by parking attendants they employ or sub-contract to).

Council controlled parking attendants enforce yellow lines, meter and residents' bays etc... The council also maintain ticket machines and meters as well as the signs and infrastructure of on and off-street car parking. The police generally enforce 'Priority' or 'Red Routes', but have a residual power to issue parking tickets generally.

In 1994 parking offences were decriminalised in London. This allowed the London boroughs to carry out their own enforcement or contract private companies to to do it on their behalf. Over time more and more councils have chosen to adopt this system, meaning a reduction in traffic wardens and an increase in parking attendants. Many people believe that profit now takes precedent over any concerns to maintain proper parking controls.

Police Penalties

Police officers and traffic wardens can issue 'fixed penalty notices' (FPNs). The notice provides details of the offence and how and when to pay. If you agree you committed the offence you should pay the fine, which is reduced if paid promptly. If you do not pay you are sent a 'notice to owner' as a reminder. If you still do not pay the fine increases by 50%,the offence becomes a criminal matter and you would be pursued in the Magistrates' Court. You could be sent to prison in extreme situations (although this is highly unlikely).

Local Authority Penalties

A local authority parking attendant can fix a penalty notice to your vehicle. If you agree you parked wrongly you should pay the fine, which again is reduced if you pay promptly. If you do not pay you are sent a 'notice to owner', then a charge certificate and the fine will be increased by a further 50%. If you still don't pay the local authority can register the debt as if it were a county court judgment (CCJ). If they then enforce the judgment it would be registered against you, your credit rating would be affected and they could dispatch bailiffs to take your car away and sell it or take away other possessions of yours to sell. You cannot be sent to prison for the debt.

Some local authorities issue parking tickets in their car parks and in metered or pay and display bays on the street. These are commonly known as “Excess Charge Notices” or “Standard Charge Notices”. They are processed by the local authority and enforcement takes place in the local Magistrates Court.

Print Page  |   Top of Page

Request a callback from one of our team

Click the button above to request a callback from one of our team.

Call us on 0800 2800 912

Our office hours are 9:00am - 5:30pm Monday to Friday.

In the press...

Motor Defence Solicitors on BBC Newsnight and News24

Andrew Dalton on BBC News

Client Testimonials

"Efficient, professional service, very helpful and reassuring. Dealt with efficiently and with upmost ability" NH Glos

"My case was dealt with supportively and professionally" II Manchester

More Testimonials

Legal matters are not simple. For help, call the experts at Motor Defence Solicitors on 0800 2800 912