Speeding Ticket?

The most common instance where Notice is served is an NIP for speeding. There is an NIP time limit that applies of 14 days from the offence. However, how this is calculated will depend on how the notice is given. Don't wait until it's too late. Call Motor Defence Solicitors now, on 0800 2800 912, for a fixed fee consultation with a specialist solicitor.

Court Summons?

A summons, for offences such as speeding, careless driving, drink driving etc...is issued in the Magistrates' Court, although the case may then be transferred to the Crown Court.

Careless / Dangerous Driving

Your driving fell below that expected of a competent driver or driving a vehicle on a road or in any public place dangerously or in a dangerous condition

Drink Driving

Being in charge of a vehicle when unfit due to drink or drugs

Failure to provide

Where an individual deliberately withholds or provides misleading information

Speed Camera Devices

Systems used in the UK are generally type approved and require regular calibration. You are likely to come across the following types: Cameras, Laser, Radar, Stopwatch, Video. Some of the more common devices used include the Gatso, LTI2020, Vascar, Truevelo. For more detailed information on the individual devices, please click here

Penalty Points?

0 Points

You are in an ever shrinking group of drivers. Keep the first penalty points off your driving licence

3-6 Points

If you got your full driving licence less than 2 years ago you are on the verge of revocation and re-test. Insurance premiums start to rise.

9 Points

One more slip and your driving licence is gone. You could face a 6 month driving disqualification

12 Points

You are looking at a 6 month driving ban unless you come up with a convincing argument at Court.

Stopped by the Police?

The Police can stop you by the road if they suspect an offence has occured. You will usually be given a Fixed Penalty Notice (NIP), HORT1 Producer or depending on the offence, be arrested and taken to a Police Station. Typical offences within this scenario include:

Guide to Taxis: Using a Private Hire Vehicle in London

The Offence

It is an offence for a private hire vehicle (PHV) to be used on a road in London without there being in force a London PHV licence.  The offence applies to both the owner and driver of the vehicle.

A London PHV licence can be applied for by the owner of any vehicle which carries less than nine passengers and will normally be granted if the following conditions are met:

  1. that the vehicle
    1. is suitable in type, size and design for use as a PHV;
    2. is safe, comfortable and in a suitable mechanical condition for that use; and
    3. is not of such design and appearance as would lead any person to believe that the vehicle is a London cab;
  2. that there is in force a valid policy of insurance

Do I need an NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) for offences relating to private hire vehicles being used in London without the appropriate licence?

No, there is not a requirement for an NIP for offences relating to private hire vehicles being used in London without the appropriate licence.


Fine up to £2,500.


There is a defence available if you can show that you did everything you could to stop the vehicle being used in London without the appropriate licence. However, this will be dependant on the facts of the case. Therefore it is critical that the full circumstances of your case are examined to ensure your case is properly prepared. If you face an allegation, we advise you contact us to take specialist legal advice.

Print Page  |   Top of Page

Request a callback from one of our team

Click the button above to request a callback from one of our team.

Call us on 0800 2800 912

Our office hours are 9:00am - 5:30pm Monday to Friday.

In the press...

Motor Defence Solicitors on BBC Newsnight and News24

Andrew Dalton on BBC News

Client Testimonials

"Very thorough, helpful and efficient!" PA Macclesfield

More Testimonials

Legal matters are not simple. For help, call the experts at Motor Defence Solicitors on 0800 2800 912