Speeding Ticket?

The most common instance where Notice is served is an NIP for speeding. There is an NIP time limit that applies of 14 days from the offence. However, how this is calculated will depend on how the notice is given. Don't wait until it's too late. Call Motor Defence Solicitors now, on 0800 2800 912, for a fixed fee consultation with a specialist solicitor.

Court Summons?

A summons, for offences such as speeding, careless driving, drink driving etc...is issued in the Magistrates' Court, although the case may then be transferred to the Crown Court.

Careless / Dangerous Driving

Your driving fell below that expected of a competent driver or driving a vehicle on a road or in any public place dangerously or in a dangerous condition

Drink Driving

Being in charge of a vehicle when unfit due to drink or drugs

Failure to provide

Where an individual deliberately withholds or provides misleading information

Speed Camera Devices

Systems used in the UK are generally type approved and require regular calibration. You are likely to come across the following types: Cameras, Laser, Radar, Stopwatch, Video. Some of the more common devices used include the Gatso, LTI2020, Vascar, Truevelo. For more detailed information on the individual devices, please click here

Penalty Points?

0 Points

You are in an ever shrinking group of drivers. Keep the first penalty points off your driving licence

3-6 Points

If you got your full driving licence less than 2 years ago you are on the verge of revocation and re-test. Insurance premiums start to rise.

9 Points

One more slip and your driving licence is gone. You could face a 6 month driving disqualification

12 Points

You are looking at a 6 month driving ban unless you come up with a convincing argument at Court.

Stopped by the Police?

The Police can stop you by the road if they suspect an offence has occured. You will usually be given a Fixed Penalty Notice (NIP), HORT1 Producer or depending on the offence, be arrested and taken to a Police Station. Typical offences within this scenario include:

Guide to Appeals

If you are unhappy about the decision made in your case you may be able to appeal against the decision to a higher court. There is an absolute right to appeal from a decision in the Magistrates' Court. There must be proper grounds for making an appeal from the Crown Court.

There are strict time limits for bringing an appeal. It may be possible to obtain an extension to these, but this should be an option of last resort. The general time limit is 21 days.

There are several ways in which you may challenge Magistrates' decisions. The most appropriate method will depend upon the type of case and its particular circumstances. Before you lodge an appeal we strongly recommend you seek legal advice as to the procedure, merit and cost.

Appeals against the decision of the Magistrates' Court in criminal cases are heard by the Crown Court. The appeal is made to the Magistrates' Court within 21 days and the papers sent by the Magistrates' Court staff to the Crown Court.

For Crown Courts you can appeal, but it would be necessary to seek permission or 'leave' from a judge at a hearing or within 7 days before an appeal can be made against a conviction in a criminal case.

Print Page  |   Top of Page

Request a callback from one of our team

Click the button above to request a callback from one of our team.

Call us on 0800 2800 912

Our office hours are 9:00am - 5:30pm Monday to Friday.

In the press...

Motor Defence Solicitors on BBC Newsnight and News24

Andrew Dalton on BBC News

Client Testimonials

"I hope I shall not need to call on you again but it's comforting to know you're there and I shall certainly recommend you to anyone who gets into a similar predicament" AM

More Testimonials

Legal matters are not simple. For help, call the experts at Motor Defence Solicitors on 0800 2800 912